Wednesday, July 5, 2017

“Hands Off!” by Karen Musgrave


“Hands Off!” by Karen Musgrave

This is one in a series of posts featuring an artist whose work is included in the Threads of Resistance exhibition.

Artist’s Statement: 
The message I received growing up was that I was less because I was female and that the misogynist acts against me were my fault. Naively I thought the world had changed, because mine did. Unfortunately, this is clearly not true. I am frustrated at how women are continually silenced and how this response, in turn, manages to protect toxic unacceptable behavior. I am saddened to see how much work women still have to do to be considered equal. Michelle Obama said it so well: “Strong men, men who are truly role models, don’t need to put women down to make themselves feel powerful.” Isn’t it time for misogyny in all its forms to end?

Hear a message from Karen about her piece below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments may not appear immediately, because they will be moderated before being posted. We will not post any rude, insulting or uncivil comments, or any anonymous comments.